100 Mile Diet: Winery, CowraCredit: Visit NSW, Hamilton Lund
100 Mile Diet: City of MudgeeCredit: Visit NSW, Jon Armstrong
100 Mile Diet: Duntryleague, OrangeCredit: Visit NSW, Orange City Council
100 Mile Diet: Lavender farm, OrangeCredit: Visit NSW, Orange City Council
100 Mile Diet: Apple orchard, OrangeCredit: Visit NSW, Evolving Images
- Accommodation: Sydney (2 Nights), Orange (1), Cowra (1), Dubbo (1), Lithgow (1)
- Rental Car - For Self-Drive though New South Wales. Base Rate only. Does not include taxes, insurance, fuel levies, drop off fees, or environmental fees
- Day Tours are Optional (not included), but can easily be included on request
- Visa Issuance for entry into Australia (US$15.00 per person) available on request
- F.I.T. (Free & Independent Travel, i.e. this is not an Organized Group Tour)
- Additional Accommodation, Sigthseeing Day Tours, International & Domestic Flights are available on request
- Customize? Tell us what you want & our Travel Experts will design your vacation and give you a no-obligation Quote.
Self Drive New South Wales, Food & Wine Trail:
Days 1 – 3: Sydney (Free Days)
Day 3: Sydney to Orange (via Lithgow and Lisdale)
Day 4: Orange to Cowra (via Borenore and Canowindra)
Day 5: Cowra to Dubbo (via Parkes)
Day 6: Dubbo to Lithgow (via Gulgong & Mudgee)
Day 7: Lithgow to Sydney
Travel to your accommodation in Sydney, Australia, where you will be staying whilst on vacation for 2 nights in your studio room apartment.
Just 30 minutes from Sydney Airport, your accommodation is conveniently located between Darling Harbour and the Sydney CBD.
The friendly staff at your accommodation can attend to your every need with 24 hour guest reception. Enjoy a scrumptious breakfast at their signature restaurant.
Relax in a stylish and comfortable haven whilst being in close proximity to shopping at Westfield’s Pitt St Mall and Darling Harbour. Don’t forget to take a stroll down Pitt St towards Circular Quay to take in more of Sydney’s world famous sites- like the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.
This inspiring tour provides a once in a lifetime opportunity to venture inside one of the world’s most recognised global landmarks.
This one hour tour outlines the intricate and controversial history of the Sydney Opera House along with details of the unique design of this architectural masterpiece. You will visit a number of the six performance venues, including the magnificent wood paneled Concert Hall and the Opera Theatre as well as the new Utzon room. You will also visit the glass enclosed northern foyer areas which boast spectacular views of Sydney Harbour – a perfect photo opportunity.
On your vacation explore Darling Harbour in Sydney, Australia with this unlimited full day pass, or take the 1 1/2 hour round trip cruise and see all the main harbour sights with commentary.
Hop On and Hop Off at up to seven famous harbour attractions with this unlimited full day pass, or simply take the 1 1/2 hour round trip cruise and see all the main harbour sights with commentary.
The Harbour Express stops at:
Fort Denison: The historic island and cafe in the middle of Sydney Harbour.
Taronga Zoo: Discover Australia’s amazing wildlife including koalas, platypus and kangaroos.
Shark Island: This island national park is the perfect destination for a BYO picnic lunch, complete with a small beach area for swimming.
Watson’s Bay: Home of Doyle’s famous seafood restaurant and only a short walk to beautiful harbour swimming beaches, HMAS Watson and headland parks.
Luna Park: Sydney’s famous fun park with rides and games, or walk across the Harbour Bridge from Milsons Point station.
Darling Harbour: Aquarium & Wildlife World, Australian Maritime Museum, shops, restaurants and only a short stroll or Monorail to Sydney Tower, Star City Casino, Powerhouse Museum and China Town.
Circular Quay: The Rocks historic precinct, weekend markets, Opera House, Royal Botanic Gardens and Harbour Bridge pylon.
(Additional Fees apply for Park Entry to Fort Denison, Shark Island & Taronga Zoo).
Explore the fertile Hunter Valley and taste delicious food and awardwinning wines. Enjoy private vineyard inspections and learn of the winemaking process. Spend time strolling in the vineyards, purchase some wine or simply enjoy the beautiful Australian countryside.
- Admire the magnificent views of the Hawkesbury River on your drive through the Central Coast
- The Hunter Valley is home to Australia’s oldest wine-producing region and owes its fame to world-class viticulturists and fertile soils
- Enjoy a private wine tasting experience at Leogate Estate Wines, which produces trophy-winning wines such as Chardonnay, Semillon and Shiraz, and learn of local wine-making techniques
- Visit Hunter Valley Resort, where you can walk among the vines and learn about the wine-making process and the key role the resort plays in this region
- Enjoy lunch made with local produce, while you sample some of the area’s best wines
- You’ll also have the chance to purchase a beer tasting paddle from the on-site brewery
- The McGuigan family are respected pioneers of the industry and at their cellar door you’ll be greeted warmly and welcomed to a tasting of their fine wines
- Finish the day at Roche Estate, where you’ll have free time to explore the shops offering Australian cheeses at the Smelly Cheese Shop and gourmet delights plus coffee, gelato, craft beer and cellar doors (own expense)
Sundays, Tuesdays, Fridays
8 Hour Tour
7:00 – 7:55am Sydney CBD hotel Pick Up
6:30pm approximately Return
- 3 Wine Tastings
- Experienced Driver Guide
- Comprehensive commentary
- Travel in an air-conditioned coach
Upgrade to a Small Group Luxury Tour
Begin your self drive today from Sydney to Lithgow. (approx 2 hrs)
Enjoy good food and wine locally grown and produced on the Foodie & Wine Trail self-drive tour through New South Wales. This 5 day / 4 night self drive itinerary showcases the best that country New South Wales has to offer. If good food and wine is what you want, this is the drive for you.
Day 1: Lithgow to Orange (approx 1.5 hours drive)
Lithgow / Lisdale: Lisdale is just 15 minutes outside of Lithgow, here you can visit Jannei Goat Dairy where you can try freshly made goat cheese. Lisdale / Orange: Carry on your self drive west to Orange. Summer Street in Orange is where you will find café’s offering local produce, wines, oils, cheeses and so much more. If you’re visiting in October be sure to experience Orange Wine Week, a regional festival for foods and wine. Be sure to visit Racine Restaurant, the perfect place to have dinner and enjoy regional foods. Stay 1 Night.
Day 2: Orange to Cowra (approx 1.25 hrs drive)
Orange: Before departing Orange, visit the gourmet food stores. The second Saturday of every month is the Farmer’s Market. Why not join a truffle search led by dogs in Millthorpe. Orange / Borenore: Stop in the General Store in Borenore and enjoy a fresh coffee or visit the Borenore Caves Reserve for an afternoon picnic with your local produce purchased. There are also vineyards with wine tasting, a fig orchard and berry farm where you can pick your own fruit. Borenore / Canowindra: The gorgeous scenery on the road to Canowindra is filled with olive groves, orchards and vineyards. Upon reaching Canowindra stroll through the main street, where you can stop in The Age of Fishes Museum, filled with million year old fossils, and then visit the tourist centre, Taste Canowindra for a tasty lunch. Canowindra / Cowra: Continue your self-drive to Cowra and eat at the Cowra Smokehouse or one of their countless vineyards. If traveling During the spring (September to November) be sure to walk though the Japanese Garden and see the cherry blossoms in full bloom. Have dinner at the very admired Nelia Restaurant. Stay 1 Night.
Optional Stop – Bathurst (approx 45 min drive from Lithgow)
Bathurst is the oldest inland settlement in Australia. It is the site of the first gold discovery in Australia, and as a result, was where the first gold rush occurred. It is home of the internationally known racetrack “Mount Panorama”, which holds the infamous Bathurst 1000. People from all across Australia and the world flock to this charming small town to watch this high adrenalin race every year. Bathurst is a unique town full of history and rich in cultural heritage. You have the opportunity to explore the streets full of beautiful architecture from the 1800’s, breathe the crisp, clean air in the open country side, and witness beautiful rolling hills and farmlands. All of this whilst gaining a small taste of what life is like in a small, fair dinkum Aussie town.
Day 3: Cowra to Dubbo (approx 3 hrs drive)
Cowra / Parkes: In Parkes you must visit the famous “Dish” telescope then swing by the Dish Café for some delicious regional treats. Parkes / Dubbo: Continue your New South Wales self drive to Dubbo and be sure to eat lunch at the Lazy River Estate and enjoy some fresh local made gelato. Visit the Taronga Western Plains Zoo where you can see about 1,500 animals all from different parts of the world. Venture out into the town for the evening and enjoy dinner at a local café or restaurant, then maybe hit the town and visit the wide array of clubs Dubbo has to offer. Spend 1 Night. Day 4: Dubbo to Lithgow (approx 3 hrs drive) Dubbo / Gulgong: Gulgong was the home of famous Australian poet and writer Henry Lawson, stop by Mayne Street for coffee. Gulgong / Mudgee: Renowned for honey and wine making, Mudgee is a gourmet haven. Leaning Oak Winery and Dairy offers you the opportunity to milk a goat. Then try your hand at inventing cheese in their “Cheese Making Workshop”. Don’t miss the Mudgee Brewing Company, famous for its handcrafted beers, and also the perfect place to stop for lunch. September is Mudgee Wine Month. Mudgee / Lithgow: Continue onto Lithgow, where you began your self-drive through country New South Wales. Stay in Lithgow.
View Larger Map
Complete your self drive today from Lithgow to Sydney. (approx 2 hrs)
Remember, this road trip is fully customizable. Combine it with other destinations, add accommodation, sigthseeing tours and flights (international &/or domestic).
Just let us know what you want and our Travel Experts will design your complete itinerary with a ‘no-obligation’ quote.
- a) All prices are USD$/person (including all Taxes). Subject to availability and seasonality. Other Conditions Apply (see Terms and Conditions).
- b) Land Content Only represents the pricing for the full itinerary as detailed, except the International Flights from the USA (and return) are NOT included.
- c) An Infant (Lapchild) must be less than 2 years old on the date of departure. Infant must travel with at least one adult. An infant with a seat pays the price of a Child.
- d) A Child must be aged between 2-11 years on the date of departure. Child must travel with at least one adult.