Join this small, locally owned tour operator on a small personalized tour in a custom built 4WD vehicle. Your naturalist guides with extensive knowledge of flora, fauna, history of the area and aboriginal culture will give you a fantastic tour of the Queensland Outback of Chillagoe and the McAllister Ranges.
Your naturalist guide will meet you at your accommodation, where you’ll board the custom built 4WD vehicle and travel through the back blocks of the McAllister Ranges and Mareeba. On the way you can spot wallabies, emus and other wildlife, and then along the agricultural paddocks you will have a chance to see paw paw, lychee, longan, mangoes, and other tropical fruiting trees. You’ll stop for morning tea before crossing over the Great Divide and into the Western watershed to enter the Australian Outback, taking you back to prehistoric times when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. Travel through historic towns and rolling hills, rich in minerals, eventually giving way to towering limestone karsts scattered around Chillagoe.
Here delve into the National Parks Cave tour. The fossilized remains of the ancient coral reefs with hidden limestone labyrinths give a portal to a lost world. Millions of years in the making, the limestone formations are nothing short of spectacular. Then delve into the history of the copper smelters, whose old chimneys dominate the western horizon. Visit the remains of these once mighty smelters before viewing ancient Aboriginal Rock Art. Afterwards you’ll enjoy an Aussie lunch at a true Australian Outback pub.
After lunch and a visit to the local souvenir shop, you’ll head back towards the east coast, stopping at Granite Gorge where you can feed wallabies and hold other indigenous animals. The tour then returns down the range to Cairns.
Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays. Does not operate on Christmas Day (December 25) and New Years Day (January 1).
Need to Know
You will need to be reasonably fit as there are stairs, some uneven ground and will take an hour to walk through the cave system at a slow pace. Itinerary may be changed due to the wet season, when conditions may close roads and access to the caves.
Pick-up at approximately 6:30am & return at approximately 5:30pm.
– Complimentary pick-up and return from Cairns CBD accommodation
– Morning Tea at Skybury Coffee Plantation
– Spot Kangaroos, emus, wallabies, wedge-tail eagles (wildlife galore) all day in the Outback
– Drive past diverse dry tropical farmlands
– Pass through historic mining ghost towns and small outback communities
– Visit the local Aboriginal rock art and Balancing Rock
– Local Chillagoe Gift shop is a must see!
– Find fossils in ancient limestone casts at Chillagoe
– Explore the famous Chillagoe Caves
– View the once booming Chillagoe smelter ruins
– Feed the wallabies Granite Gorge and see local wildlife
– Small group tour in a premium 4WD
– Private tour option available