Travel south from Darwin to the picturesque Litchfield National Park and discover its stunning waterfalls.
Litchfield National Park’s major attractions are the permanent spring fed waterfalls of Florence, Tolmer and Wangi falls.
The Park’s central sandstone plateau supports patches of monsoonal rainforest that thrive in the deep, narrow gorges, created over thousands of years by the force of the waterfalls cutting into the escarpment walls.
Common wildlife species include wallaroos, wallabies, possums, flying foxes and dingoes. The caves near Tolmer Falls are home to a colony of rare Orange Horseshoe Bats. Litchfield is also a haven for hundreds of native bird species. Birds of prey are common during the dry season and the Rainbow Bee-eater inhabits the sheltered areas close to waterfalls.
See the picturesque double waterfall that forms beautiful Florence Falls, surrounded by lush rainforest. Continue to Tolmer Falls. Noted as one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the park, Tolmer Falls cascades over two high escarpments and plunges into a deep waterhole below.
Journey a short distance to the rock pool at Wangi Falls where there’s time to enjoy a refreshing swim in the waters at the waterfall’s base, (conditions permitting). Or perhaps take a nature walk to the top of Wangi Falls and enjoy a bird’s-eye view of the lush surrounds.
- April – November: Daily.
- December – March: Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Need to Know
- Wear enclosed walking shoes, sunglasses, hat and sunscreen.
- Bring a water bottle, swimsuit and towel (if swimming).
- Wear warm layers in cooler months.
- Low to moderate level of fitness required.
- Florence Falls: 160 step staircase down to swimming area, or there is a viewing platform at top of the falls if you do not wish to swim.
- Tolmer Falls: is a flat walk of 15mins each way
- Wangi Falls is an easy 5 minute walk through rainforest
Departs from Darwin at 7:25am and returns at approximately 6pm, lasting 10 hours.
- Experienced driver guide.
- Comprehensive commentary.
- Travel in an air-conditioned coach.