See some of the most beautiful scenery in Victoria with a ride on the Puffing Billy Steam Train!
Travel to the Dandenong Ranges, where you’ll enjoy a traditional Devonshire Tea in the mountains, followed by an unforgettable ride on the Puffing Billy Steam Train. Then you;ll visit the delightful village of Sassafras for boutique shopping.
The Dandenong Ranges, known to the locals as the Dandenongs, are beautiful low mountain ranges just 21 miles east of Melbourne. At their peak, they rise to more than 2,066 feet and are cloaked in lush rainforests of Mountain Ash trees (the tallest flowering plant in the world), waterfalls, rolling hills and steep valleys. The region is home to the famous Puffing Billy Railway, numerous art and craft stores and cafes offering delicious homemade produce.
Nestled in the heart of the Dandenong Mountains is Grant’s Reserve, a haven in the wilderness. On arrival you will be charmed by the surrounding mountain hue and crisp clear air. While here you will enjoy a traditional Devonshire Tea of homemade scones, served warm with jam and cream, and tea served in china tea cups – just a treat!
Grant’s Reserve is a paradise for bird life and will be you’ll be serenaded by the wonderful bird song that fills the valley. You can also handfeed some of the most striking Australian birds such as the colorful Crimson Rosella, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and pink-chested Galah. It’s a lot of fun and a great opportunity to get a photo.
Next you head the short distance to Belgrave, home of the famous Puffing Billy Steam Train, where you are in for a real treat!
This century-old steam train is maintained in its original glory and runs to this day on its own mountain track from Belgrave to Gembrook. Here you’ll go back in time as you get on board for a 30-minute ride through the heart of the rainforest.
You’ll see the locomotive depot that services and maintains the train, head through the gorgeous Sherbrooke Forest and ride over the old Trestle Bridge. Just before Menzies Creek you can see stunning views of Port Phillip Bay before heading through Paradise Valley and on to the townships of Emerald and Gembrook. What a great ride!
From Gembrook you will then be on your way to the lovely little village of Sassafras. You’ll be travelling through thick rainforest that is home to all sorts of wildlife, so keep an eye out for Lyre Birds and Wallabies. Once in Sassafras you can take your time to explore the delightful antique and craft shops dotted throughout the village. You might even find a little something to take home with you.
Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday except December 25.
Need to Know
– Tour departs from Federation Square, Melbourne, corner of Flinders & Russell Streets.
– Return transfers from your accommodation are available – advise prior to booking.
– Wear enclosed walking shoes.
– Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen and water bottle are recommended.
– Wear warm layers in cooler months.
Departs at 8:10am and returns at 1pm, lasting approximately 4.5 hours.
– Puffing Billy Steam Train ride.
– Devonshire Tea.
– Experienced driver guide.
– Comprehensive commentary.
– Travel in an air-conditioned coach.
– Add a visit to the Healesville Sanctuary to meet native Australian wildlife at the end of your Puffing Billy journey – additional cost.
– Add a wine tour with tastings at three boutique wineries in the Yarra Valley at the end of your Puffing Billy journey – additional cost.