Discover the natural and cultural history of Sydney through the eyes of the Aboriginal people who have lived here for thousands of years. Explore The Rocks, Sydney’s historic harbor precinct, on a guided walking tour uncovering the authentic Aboriginal heritage of Sydney Harbour and learn how modern Aboriginal people maintain their cultural practices in such a dynamic global city.
The Rocks Dreaming Aboriginal Heritage Tour is 100% Aboriginal owned and was developed by Aboriginal Elder, Margret Campbell, a Dunghutti-Jerrinjah woman. It is led by Aboriginal guides who share cultural knowledge and interpretation of Sydney’s Dreamtime symbology and creation, a living history passed down through generations. Learn how the Dreamtime ties within Sydney’s natural billion-year-old saltwater harbor and marine environment, sandstone strata, fresh waterways, flora, and fauna that continue to influence Aboriginal people’s thinking and lifestyle today in modern Sydney.
This 90-minute walkabout tour in The Rocks is a perfect introduction of Aboriginal culture. It highlights the perspective of Sydney’s Dreamtime heritage that is intimate, enlightening, and transformative.
Daily, on request. Does not operate on Christmas Day (December 25) and Good Friday.
Departs at 10:30am and returns 12:00pm, lasting approximately 1.5 hours (90 minutes).
– Local Aboriginal basic ceremonial greeting (good manners) that connect to Dreamtime Custodian Characters who Belong to Sydney Harbour’s saltwater sunrise and freshwater environment.
– Knowledgeable Aboriginal guides.
– Discover Aboriginals’ acknowledgement of “country” using Earth Mother’s traditional ochre paint.
– Discover everyday resources/equipment manufactured from natural environment – its origin source of cultural objects and materials harvested from landscape and handle small samples.
– Learn about the story of Aboriginal Dreamtime, it’s origin, history and how culture evolved.
– Understanding the connection of modern Sydney and the Aboriginal Dreaming in The Rocks Sydney.
Need to Know
– Tour participants are required to follow COVID19 safety measures as directed by guide
– Tour departs at Cadman’s Cottage courtyard area (110 George Street, The Rocks).
– The tour operates rain or shine
– Please wear comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, and a hat, and bring a bottle of water.
-Privates tours available