Dunedin at DuskChris McLennan (www.cmphoto.co.nz)
Queenstown Lake HayesCredit: DestinationQueenstown.com
Auckland - New Zealand's Largest CityPhoto Credit: Kim Christensen
Mount CookThe Highest Peak on the Southern Alps
WellingtonWillis Street at Night
Auckland - Bay of IslandsOff the North Island of New Zealand
Dunedin Chinese GardensChris McLennan (www.cmphoto.co.nz)
Franz Josef GlacierWalking Tours
Abel Tasman Rock FormationsNational Park near Nelson
Queenstown CountrysideNew Zealand
Mount CookReflections on the Lake
Dunedin Railway StationIan J Brodie
Franz Josef GlacierIce Climbing
Te Anau Glowworm CavesPhoto Credit: Real Journeys
Abel Tasman BeachNational Park near Nelson
Whakatane - New ZealandPhoto Credit: WHAKATASTIC! Facebook page
Lake TaupoCredit: Tourism New Zealand
Napier - WinePhoto Credit: Tourism New Zealand Facebook Page
21 Days: See all the major sights of New Zealand on our most popular Premier Plus tour. On this comprehensive and stylish holiday, absorb the majestic sights of the Bay of Islands, Rotorua, spectacular Milford Sound and explore the alpine resort of Queenstown.
- Cultural Touring Experiences
- Freedom of Choice Touring
- Visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds
- Bay of Islands overnight cruise option
- Enjoy a Maori hangi feast in Rotorua
- Country Homestay available in Rotorua
- Cruise across Cook Strait to the south island aboard the Interislander ferry
- Marvel at the impressive Franz Josef Glacier
- Cruise the length of Milford Sound
- Discover Mt Cook National Park
- Ride on the famous TranzAlpine train
- Enjoy Freedom of Choice Touring in Auckland, Bay of Islands, Rotorua, Queenstown, Dunedin, Mt Cook and Christchurch
- Enjoy Dine Around Dinners in Nelson, Queenstown, Mt Cook and Wellington
- Enjoy a range of Maori Cultural Touring with local guides
- You’ll have the services of a dedicated Tour Director and professional Driver
- Arrival and departure airport transfers
- Enjoy the convenience of the same coach, Tour Director and Driver on both the north and south islands
- Visit a total of six national parks
- Enjoy a total of four two night stays
- Visit Matakohe’s Pioneer Museum
- Take a dolphin cruise to Cape Brett
- Enjoy a tour of the Waitomo Caves
- Admire the thunderous Huka Falls
- See the beautiful Lake Taupo
- Travel through Tongariro National Park
- Visit the nation’s capital, Wellington
- See Pounamu (jade) being carved in Hokitika
- View the massive glacier-formed Haast River Valley
- Visit the Moeraki Boulders on Koekohe Beach
- Travel to Lake Tekapo and visit the tiny Church of the Good Shepherd
- Visit the whale watching town of Kaikoura
- Stay a total of four nights at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Auckland
- Stay two nights Copthorne Resort Bay of Islands, Waitangi in bay view rooms
- Relax for two nights at the Millennium Rotorua
- Enjoy a total of two nights at the InterContinental Wellington
- Stay at The Rutherford Hotel, Nelson
- Enjoy an overnight stay at Te Waonui Rainforest Retreat, Franz Josef
- EXCLUSIVE! Stay at the Edgewater Resort, Wanaka, a tranquil lakeside haven
- EXCLUSIVE! Two nights at the luxurious Sofitel Queenstown
- Relax at the Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas
- Stay at the Southern Cross Hotel, Dunedin
- EXCLUSIVE! Stay at The Hermitage, Mt Cook, with views of Mt Cook
- Stay at the Heritage Christchurch
- Stay at the Te Pania Scenic Hotel, Napier
- 20 Breakfasts and 19 Dinners including
- Maori Hangi feast in Rotorua
- West Coast Specialities Dinner
- Queenstown Dine Around Dinner
- 9 Day Southern Sensation, refer to tour code NAC09
- 18 Day All New Zealand Auckland to Auckland, refer to tour code NAA18
- 18 Day Great New Zealand Experience Auckland to Christchurch, refer to tour code NAC18
- Contact Us for more details
- Fully inclusive of all sightseeing, entrance fees, cruises, meals as specified and accommodation
- Land content only
- At the time of making your booking, let APT’s experts secure you the best airfares available
- Contact us for more details
Day 1. Auckland
On arrival in Auckland you will be met at the airport by an APT representative and transferred to your centrally-located hotel. The rest of today is at leisure to relax and settle in, or begin exploring this wonderful city.
Day 2. Auckland, Freedom of Choice Touring
This morning is at leisure for you to relax and discover Auckland. This afternoon, you choose the touring activity and we will include it. Your options include a cruise on Waitemata Harbour aboard the Pride of Auckland; a trip to the Auckland Museum; get up close to giant sharks, eels and scores of fish at Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World or visit the Voyager National Maritime Museum. Included with each of these options is an Auckland City Sights Tour. Other options available include a head, neck and shoulders massage at Bliss Reflexology; a Wilderness Adventure into the Waitakere Rainforest; or for the more adventurous you may like to climb Auckland’s Harbour Bridge.
Day 3. Auckland, Bay of Islands
Cross the Auckland Harbour Bridge and travel through Warkworth and Wellsford. Visit the Matakohe Pioneer Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of kauri gum. Continue to Waipoua Kauri Forest Reserve and view the giant kauri tree Tane Mahuta, ‘Lord of the Forest’. Travel across the country to the historic Bay of Islands and visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. Later this afternoon you’ll also visit the Maori Meeting House and see the War Canoe.
Day 4. Bay of Islands, Freedom of Choice Touring
Not only is the beautiful Bay of Islands the birthplace of the nation and thus full of New Zealand history, it’s also home to 144 islands and known as a playground for lovers of anything aquatic. After breakfast you have the opportunity to choose the Freedom of Choice Touring activity that most interests you. You may like to enjoy the Culture North Night Show, take a tour of Cape Reinga, New Zealand’s northernmost point. Perhaps you may like to experience the life of a bygone era aboard a Tall Ship, including a hearty BBQ lunch. Alternatively you may be interested in going on a dolphin watching Adventure, relax with a round of golf at Waitangi overlooking the national maritime park, join a mini-tour of Russell or discover the small town of Kerri Kerri on a half day sightseeing tour.
Day 5. Bay of Islands, Auckland
This morning after breakfast, embark on a Bay of Islands catamaran cruise to Cape Brett and the famous Hole in the Rock. In these world-renowned deep-sea fishing grounds, dolphins and schools of fish are frequently seen. Meander through the inner islands, viewing sandy beaches, rocky outcrops and visit a secluded bay with time for relaxation. Following your cruise journey south back to Auckland.
Day 6. Auckland, Rotorua, Hangi Feast
This morning after breakfast, travel south through the Waikato Province to the Waitomo Caves for a guided tour of the limestone caverns and glow-worm grotto. Unique to New Zealand, these fascinating creatures radiate a luminescent glow as your expert guide provides commentary whilst you cruise the underground limestone caverns. Then continue to the geothermal region of Rotorua, known as the centre of Maori culture. Enjoy a Maori hangi feast and cultural performance of song and dance at Mitai Maori Village tonight.
Day 7. Rotorua, Freedom of Choice Touring
For an overview of the wonderful sights of this great town, the Rotorua Icons activity will take you to the Te Puia Thermal Reserve where you’ll visit some of the famous geo-thermal geysers that are world renowned icons of New Zealand. Or you may like to visit Kiwi encounter, a working nursery and hatchery of this unique bird. Perhaps visit Wai-O-Tapu, New Zealand’s largest boiling mudpool, including Lady Knox Geyser. For fans of the blockbuster series, ‘Lord of the Rings’, you may like to enjoy the Hobbiton Movie Set Tour and see where your favourite scenes were filmed. If your are after something more adventurous perhaps join a 4WD Bush Safari. For a more relaxing afternoon play a round of golf or enjoy a 30 minute spa treatment at the Polynesian Spa.
Day 8. Rotorua, Taupo, Wellington
This morning, follow the Thermal Explorer Highway to the heart of the north island and view the Wairakei Steam Valley. Visit the thundering Huka Falls and marvel at the striking blue water that flows through the Huka River, you’ll also visit beautiful Lake Taupo, before travelling south across the vast volcanic plateau of World Heritage-listed Tongariro National Park on the way to Wellington, the national capital.
Day 9. Wellington, Nelson, Dine Around Dinner
Join the Interislander ferry across Cook Strait to the South Island. Travel through the pretty Marlborough region to Nelson for tonight’s Dine Around Dinner. Satisfy your tastebuds with authentic Japanese dining at Miyazu, Nelson’s best Japanese dining experience consisting of a sushi bar and Teppanyaki grill. For those who prefer the tastes of the sea, perhaps try Oceano, offering the best local seafood dishes, with a rustic style menu featuring an Italian influence.
Day 10. Nelson, Franz Josef, West Coast Specialities Degustation Dinner
Follow the Heritage Highway to the West Coast. View the 30 million year old Pancake rock formations at Punakaiki. Stop at Hokitika to see Pounamu (jade) being carved, then enter Westland National Park, home to Franz Josef and Fox glaciers. Tonight, sample regional cuisine during a West Coast Specialities Degustation Dinner.
Day 11. Franz Josef, Wanaka
This morning, depart Franz Josef and view the Glacier as you travel along New Zealand’s West Coast and view incredible scenery today as you travel through Haast Pass and the Haast River Valley, over the dramatic Southern Alps. This region of the south island is home to some of New Zealand’s most beautiful lakes, you’ll have the opportunity to view lakes Wanaka and Hawea en-route to our overnight stay in Wanaka.
Day 12. Wanaka, Queenstown, Dine Around Dinner
Depart Wanaka this morning and journey to Arrowtown, a small village en-route to Queenstown with a rich gold mining history. Continue to Queenstown, and tonight enjoy a Dine Around Dinner, where you have the choice of 14 restaurants to dine in.
Day 13. Queenstown, Freedom of Choice Touring
Today, personalise your tour with a range of Freedom of Choice Touring activities. A Safari of the Scenes tour takes you to several local sites where the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy was filmed. If you’re after an adrenaline rush, take a ride on the famous Shotover Jetboat down the Shotover river. If you’re feeling adventurous you may like to try Snow Shoeing (seasonal), with a local guide, strap on a pair
of special snow shoes for a hike through Queenstown’s wilderness region. New Zealand is famous for its wines, so why not take a tour of the country’s premier wine producing region. Or for an overview of Queenstown, you may prefer to take a Double Decker Explorer ride through the streets of Queenstown and the nearby gold-mining settlement of Arrowtown. These are just some of the options
Day 14. Milford Sound, Te Anau
This morning travel through Fiordland National Park where lush rainforest meets snow-capped mountains. Drive along Milford Road, renowned as one of the world’s most spectacular alpine drives. On arrival at Milford Sound, cruise the full length of this beautiful fiord, keep an eye out for seals, dolphins and penguins that call this part of the world home. This afternoon, return through the Eglinton Valley and Homer Tunnel to the lakeside settlement of Te Anau.
Day 15. Te Anau, Dunedin, Freedom of Choice Touring
Departing Te Anau this morning, journey via beautiful Lake Manapouri to Dunedin, settled by the Scottish in 1848 and renowned as the Edinburgh of the south. This afternoon, personalise your touring when you select your Freedom of Choice Touring activity. Perhaps tour Larnach Castle, New Zealand’s only castle. In keeping with the heritage theme, perhaps visit Olveston House. Or if you prefer, visit Dunedin’s beautiful railway station and board the Taieri Gorge Railway for a journey into the rugged countryside. Beer lovers can join a tour of Speight’s Brewery which includes a tasting. Alternatively, nature lovers will enjoy visiting an Albatross colony and seeing penguins on a tour of the Otago Peninsula.
Day 16. Dunedin, Mt Cook, Freedom of Choice Touring, Dine Around Dinner
Today travel north along the coast to view the fascinating Moeraki Boulders on Koekohe Beach. Stop at Oamaru, known for its distinctive limestone architecture. Then pass massive hydro-electric dams and glacier-fed lakes on the journey to Mt Cook National Park, home to Australasia’s highest mountain. On arrival, join your selected Freedom of Choice Touring activity. Perhaps visit The Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre, or you may like to take a guided nature walk and discover the native flora and fauna of the region, or this evening enjoy a star gazing session with an astronomer. If you’re travelling during the summer months, board a MAC boat and get up close to spectacular icebergs on the Tasman Glacier Terminal Lake. Tonight choose to dine at either The Panorama Room or Alpine Restaurant within the hotel.
Day 17. Mt Cook, Christchurch
This morning you’ll travel to Lake Tekapo and visit the tiny Church of the Good Shepherd. Leaving the High Country behind, cross the patchwork farmlands of the Canterbury plains. On the way to Christchurch, you might like to ride the TranzAlpine train from Arthurs Pass or perhaps continue by coach, through Rakaia Gorge to Christchurch.
Day 18. Christchurch, Wellington, Dine Around Dinner
Board the coach this morning and travel to Kaikoura, a renowned whale watching town. Continue to Picton at the top of the South Island and board the Interislander ferry for the return cruise across Cook Strait to the nation’s capital, Wellington. Tonight choose from one of two restaurants in Wellington for your Dine Around Dinner. Choose from either the Chameleon Restaurant, an elegantly appointed restaurant offering award-winning local cuisine as well as
a range of international favourites. Or you may prefer the themed Arizona Bar and Grill might be more your style.
Day 19. Wellington, Napier
Leaving Wellington this morning, cross the Rimutaka Ranges into the pretty farming district of the Wairarapa. Continue to the coastal township of Napier, an area dominated by orchards and vineyards, and world renowned for its striking Art Deco architecture. On arrival, enjoy a wine tasting tour at the New Zealand Wine Centre, followed by a city sights tour and a guided Art Deco walk. There is time to explore this unique east coast town at your leisure this afternoon, before returning to your hotel for dinner this evening.
Day 20. Taupo, Auckland
Departing Napier this morning we travel to the outskirts of Taupo, over the vast New Zealand countryside, and through Hamilton to New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. Tonight swap stories with your new found friends of this magical 21 Day tour of New Zealand.
Day 21. Depart Auckland
Your tour concludes this morning after breakfast. Enjoy time at leisure to explore this beautiful city, before it’s time for your included departure transfer to the airport. Alternatively you may like to extend your stay in the ‘Land of the Long White Cloud’, enquire for post tour accommodation options in Auckland.
- a) All prices are USD$/person (including all Taxes). Subject to availability and seasonality. Other Conditions Apply (see Terms and Conditions).
- b) Land Content Only represents the pricing for the full itinerary as detailed, except the International Flights from the USA (and return) are NOT included.
- c) An Infant (Lapchild) must be less than 2 years old on the date of departure. Infant must travel with at least one adult. An infant with a seat pays the price of a Child.
- d) A Child must be aged between 2-11 years on the date of departure. Child must travel with at least one adult.